We got Phase II of the Kitchen Remodel off with a bang. The wooden counters are beautiful, but not too great looking with our wooden cabinets. So, the week after the parentals left, I was taking off cabinet doors. Boy, do we have a lot of cabinet doors! And, I really do think that they multiplied over the course of this project. Everytime I would look back at the stack it looked taller and taller.

Also, apparently you are supposed to match the cabinet doors to their exact spot when you put them back. Even though some of the doors are the exact same size, they can shrink and warp over time making it impossible to swap spots. So, I numbered each one in the only spot they will not get painted, the hinge hole. Hopefully I will remember where the number 1 spot is when I go to reinstall them!

Now, if you’ve been reading this blog, you know that nothing is simple in this house. We already knew that some of the doors had been damaged and the owners had used what looked like Gorilla Glue to repair them. There were drips of glue all over a couple of the doors and the repairs were, as expected, less than desirable. I was able to chip away most of the glue drips from the doors and fill in some of the craziness with wood filler, but we still have to deal with this one.

The two pieces are not aligned correctly. So, we may have to break off that little piece and try to reattach it. As you can see, we have our work cut out for us.

And if you can’t get a handle off, just ask your local stud to help out!

He’s so great to have around! And, to keep us throwing our hands in the air, some of the pulls were actually glued to the drawer fronts. Awesome. My neck is tired from shaking my head in wonder.

The next step was to clean these bad boys. And if the hairy fan was any indicator of how these people lived, you’ll know that the cabinets were a tad dirty. We had wiped them down when we moved in, but nothing like the deep clean they needed before we painted them. I had read that a cleaning product named Krud Kutter was excellent at getting through all the grease buildup on cabinets. But, we couldn’t find it at Home Depot. Matt actually thought I was making it up because the name sounded hokey and it was no where to be found at the store. We ended up with your basic degreaser and a handy dandy sponge. (Side note: We did find Krud Kutter later and I was able to hear the glorious words, “You were right.”)

I cleaned and I cleaned and I cleaned. And then I cleaned some more.

The doors had previously all had two holes for pulls and we wanted to change that to one hole for a knob, so we had to fill and sand and hope for the best!

After all the holes were filled and the wood filler dried, I sanded down the filler and the doors to give the primer something to adhere to.

Here are the doors all laid out in our extra room. After a good wipe down they were ready for primer!

Stay tuned for the riveting Part II of our cabinet painting saga.

OK, maybe that’s a little too dramatic, but I want you to feel like you are here with us, scraping glue and sanding primer until your fingers fall off!

And, I really do think that they multiplied over the course of this project. Everytime I would look back at the stack it looked taller and taller.
Advertisements