Continuation of Dining Room – Take 1.

When I last left you, we had finished painting the walls. The next step was to figure out the dimensions of the board and batten. Since I liked the way she did hers, I decided just to follow her dimensions. Way easier than trying to figure this out for myself.  We broke out the scotch tape again and put up pieces of tape where each of the vertical boards would be placed. This is important for two reasons. First, we needed to know exactly how may slats we would need. Secondly, we needed to make sure we weren’t getting too close to the outlets, light switch, or corners. We only had to shift the boards once to make amends for a corner.

Next up was the Home Depot run for the MDF and other supplies. One of the best features of Home Depot is that they will cut boards for you. So, armed with the measurements we needed, we pulled the MDF sheets and kindly asked the gentleman if he would cut the 4×8 boards into the 30 sizes we needed (no joke, I think it may have even been more than 30). This was a HUGE help and saved us a bunch of time. We also purchased paintable caulk to fill gaps, Liquid Nails, and the piece of trim that would be make the shelf look more decorative.

As a side note, we also discovered that MDF is basically thick, compressed cardboard. So, if you ever buy MDF, just make sure it’s not raining really hard when you leave Home Depot.  We did not check the weather and as a result, Matt had to back his car up to the Home Depot exit so we didn’t get our boards wet. Fortunately, stormy Sunday evenings are not a busy time for Home Depot.

Back at home, Matt got to work nailing these boards to the walls. The only problem that we had was that the drywall did not catch the nails for the vertical pieces very well at all. After it was all said and done, Matt went back and placed screws in the top and bottom of these boards to make the more secure and to make the tops and bottoms match up with the horizontal pieces. Less filling and sanding for me!

Here’s what it looked like when all the boards were up, sans shelf.

Now, to put up the shelf and the little decorative piece under the shelf, we had to get a little creative. We couldn’t get the hammer close enough to the wall to get a nail in the top, so we had to rent a nail gun. Cool tool, but super super loud, especially in a small, enclosed room.

Matt also nail gunned the top of the vertical pieces close the gap as much as possible between the vertical and horizontal pieces.

For the little piece of trim, we used liquid nails to glue it in place.

Here’s a close up:

Now, we just need lots and lots of sanding and white paint! Check us out on Monday for the finished project!


Advertisements